Thanks to all who attended a lively meeting. We particularly enjoyed meeting several new members this month. Below are the notes from the areas we discussed.
A few things to note – if there are any areas you’re particularly interested in, please consider giving an hour or two of your time to us a month. We really need help in various areas to put our good ideas into practise. Email email@example.com if you can help.
New bike stands will going into the village this year and a campaign will launch to promote these and encourage cycling around the village. Not knitted jumpers so we’re looking at banner off cuts instead to raise the profile of the bike parking.
EV chargers – MSDC have let us know that chargers will be going into the public car parks by March 2022. We await further confirmation and welcome this good news.
Another bike swarm – we will discuss at our next meeting.
Cycle routes – Lucy updated the team on the current state of play on both the West-East and South-North cycle routes.
We also discussed the A2300 road development which has cut off cycling and walking north of the village. Duncan Codd has been in touch with Joy Dennis, our WSCC councillor. If anyone wants to express their concern, please do the same.
Action: CHARLOTTE TO PUT PROPOSED CYCLE ROUTE/MAP ON WEBSITE
Action: LUCY TO CONNECT CHRIS TO CHRIS THOMPSON RE CYCLE ROUTES
St Lawrence – Charlotte and Kate Shanahan are giving a talk to the children on Hurst Rethink w/c 14/3 as part of their ‘This is our village’ week.
Kate is also be leading an eco-club Tues 15/3 to work on publicity materials for the Book Swap/Second hand book sale they’re planning as part of World Book Day. World book day is 28/3 (the week after half term). Eco-club is going great guns and had the school governors sat in on their session last week.
Downlands – Kirstin Gaymer has been in contact with the new Eco Leader, Holly Middleditch and introduced the Plant Your Tree for the Jubilee campaign. She has responded positively and wants to explore creating an area for trees to be planted in autumn.
Hurst College – Charlotte is giving a talk to Yr 11 on Tuesday 8th March as part of a sustainability drive. We will also send the Tree campaign info to them.
Albourne – Welcome to Sophie Jupp who is a Governor at Albourne school and is their lead on sustainability. We look forward to working with you and thanks for coming to our meeting 🙂
Ideas discussed –
WENDY – INVOLVE PRE SCHOOLERS SO THEY KNOW WHERE THEIR FOOD COMES FROM. WE WELCOME HER IDEAS ON HOW TO WORK WITH PRE SCHOOLS
ALLOTMENT AT ST LAWRENCE, CAN THIS BE OPEN IN THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS SO WE CAN WORK ON IT?
Hurst Jumble Trail – The community group are launching a new event on Sunday 10th April – the Hurst Jumble Trail. Look out for posters and details on social media and please share with your networks. We really rely on our members to help spread the word of events on WhatsApp and social media so when you see the details, don’t be shy!
Book Swap / bench/ bus stop – this idea was discussed. Hassocks has a book swap phone box. Can we set up similar in Hurst?
Action: Would anyone like to investigate this for us?
Chatty Benches – this was a trial launched by a resident and supported by the PC.
Action: Please can all members support this lovely initiative and help spread the word for us?
Greener Homes & Energy
We The Power film screening – there is an opportunity to host a film screening called We The Power on community energy. We would love to do this and will investigate.
Action: Sonia to sign up as a film host and contact Hurst Film Society
Sonia is currently on her own on this team. If anyone wants to join to look at how we help people switch to green energy and make their homes more energy efficient, please let her know as she would really appreciate your help – firstname.lastname@example.org
Plant Pot recycling – Garden Sage have asked us for volunteers to help them recycle plant pots. When we have the details, we will send out a message.
ACTION: ED FROM GARDEN SAGE HAS SAID HE’LL WORK AROUND VOLUNTEER AVAILABILITY – PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TAKE PART.
Terracycle – We’re not currently collecting crisp and snack packets for Terracycle as Co-op now collects. However their bins are too small. We need to liaise with Co-op to fix this issue.
If anyone has suggestions on what they’d like to see recycled, please let us know. We still collect plastic bottle tops in the Village Centre and Beauty product packaging outside Columbines.
Hurst Village Market launches Saturday April 2nd 10am-1pm at the New Inn garden. We will need volunteers to help with logistics on the day. Please let us know if you can help or want to be involved in the running of the market.
Hurst Shopping Trail – we’re working with the PC on producing a Hurst Shopping trail promoting our local, independent shops. WE will produce a map, shopping bags and posters/stickers all funded by MSDC to encourage people to shop local and seasonal.
POP UP SHOP IDEA/HIGH STREET DEAD- NO SEATING- NEEDS TO BE MORE INCLUSIVE-DISABILITY ACCESS- DOUBLE BUGGIES – CHRIS
HOW TO MAKE THE HIGH STREET BETTER- WIDER/SAFER?
CAN WE SEE CHRIS’S PLANS?
JOY DENNIS – WSCC CONTACT HER WITH IDEAS- CAN WE INVITE HER TO OUR NEXT MEETING?
START SMALL- MORE SEATING AREAS IN VILLAGE. CONTACT PC ABOUT BENCHES
Membership boost – we have lots of members (350 on Facebook page) following our activity but would like to reach more people. Please can everyone tell friends and family about our group and ask them to either follow us on social media or sign up to our monthly newsletter on this website?
Legal structure – we discussed the structure of our organisation- Charity/CIC? Do we have volunteers who could look at this and help us set up as a legal entity? Lucy and Charlotte are snowed under with our other initiatives and haven’t had time to investigate.
Treasurer – Would anyone like to take on the duties of treasurer?
Plant Your Tree for the Jubilee – we are focussing on comms now for planting in autumn. Please can everyone support this campaign?
Tree planting vs natural regeneration debate
We have decided to promote our campaign with residents using own gardens instead of landowners. There is still scope to find some community land though through MSDC (George to explore).
Knepp natural regneration podcast: https://knepp.co.uk/knepp-wildland-podcast. We highly recommend everyone listens to this.
We need volunteers to spread campaign details to schools, businesses and groups
Schools: St Lawrence, Albourne, Twineham, Hurst College and Downlands
Groups: Girls Brigade: Margaret Taylor has already expressed an interest.
Posters: Amanda ‘I was thinking we could ask the school to design posters for the notice boards and to go in some of the shops to promote the Plant a tree campaign and raise awareness amongst the kids?’
Action – Approach St Lawrence school
No Mow May – coming up and we will follow up on last year’s success with a bigger campaign this year. We need to include messaging on not using pesticides or chemicals on your lawn. We also need to manage expectations – if you don’t mow, you won’t get lots of wildflowers straight away. It takes time. Promote the benefits of natural flora e.g Ivy! Promote untidiness!
GUY- commented on the catastrophic decline in insects. George noted that insects need native flora – ideally a kaleidoscope of habitat to thrive. People are rightly very concerned about our natural fauna and want to help.
Do we hold an event to help communicate how we can help to the village – perhaps in partnership with the Horticultural Society?
Action: Wendy to see if we can get a speaker.
HKD Transition are holding an event in April on natural regeneration which we will promote.
Bridget suggested daytime and school holiday events as well to reach children, grandparents etc…
Action: Team to consider how we do this and discuss at the next Biodiversity team meet
Laurie commented that we need activity not just talks to engage families. Investigate if we can have a wildlife garden as part of Hurst Open Gardens.
Action – team to liaise with Hurst Open Gardens team – Bec Hanley and Prue Heron
Hurst Meadows tree planting in Edgerley Meadow – this was discussed. The PC are investigating with MSDC and will update when there is something to say! 500 TREES – all native hedging but not well planted.